Q: Throttle problems at start

My throttle seems to be having problems. As soon as I start the car, if I step on the gas pedal, nothing happens. It just doesn't respond. It doesn't always happen, and if I turn the ignition off and back on, it will usually go on the next try. Once the car is going, I don't have a single problem. Is this common, and would it be the throttle or something else?

Your vehicle does not have mechanical throttle linkage. Instead, it is equipped with a "drive by wire" system, which uses a stepper motor to control throttle position. My guess is that the problem is somewhere in this system. Throttle initialization occurs every time the ignition is turned to the run position.

The powertrain control module (PCM) uses this information as a baseline for throttle position sensor performance. There is a technical service bulletin (TSB) to perform a throttle position relearn, which may help. The TSB number is KT2008110401. I suggest you have a trained professional inspect your vehicle firsthand. They will be able to determine if this TSB applies and make any necessary repairs to fix your throttle problem.

3. Throttle problems at start