Q: Throttle body or sensor issue

My Chevy aveo has issues when it's cold, it starts and runs for about 5 seconds and than turns off, I try again, it doesn't turn on at all. Once the weather warms up, around noon it turns on, no problem. I took it to the mechanic and he said it may be a throttle body or a sensor, idk which sensor I need to replace. Should I clean the throttle body or have a new one put in?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. Your problem ...

Hello, thanks for writing in. Your problem is likely the coolant temperature sensor, which communicates engine temp to the engine management computer (ECM) so that the proper amount of fuel can be injected. If it passes bad readings (too warm lets say) to the ECM, the fuel mixture is not rich enough for the colder condition, and the engine stalls.

A dirty throttle body (they can be cleaned) should not be a problem, but checking for that should be the second component to check for problems. I would recommend having the car’s stalling issue inspected by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.