Q: There's a whining noise from the engine area and a notification that the engine was overheating

Driving in town, was at a stop, proceeded to go, heard a whining noise, then transmission failsafe error came on, vehicle downshifted, and notice stated engine overheating pull over.

A: Your car has a failsafe mode that is design...

Your car has a failsafe mode that is designed to protect the car and the driver and will engage anytime the car's computer detects that a critical component or system in the car is not working properly. In this case, the whining noise may have been the water pump beginning to fail as this is a common noise for the water pump to make when failing. As a result of this, the car began to overheat which is likely what caused the car to go into fail safe mode in an effort to prevent further engine damage. When this happens, the engine has reached a temperature that is too hot for the vehicle's cooling system to be able to cool it down on it's own due to a malfunction of one of the cooling system components, in this case, your water pump. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your cooling system.