Q: THe oil pan rusted and is leaking. The mechanic says cost is approx. $750 to replace it. Is that a fair price??

The oil pan is rusted and leaking, They will change the pan and gaskets and put new oil and a new filter. The mechanic said it will be about $750. IS that a fair price? How long does it take to do this? I have a jeep grand Cherokee with a v-8

Without knowing what the local labor rate is the prices you got are not out of line with book pricing to do this repair. The oil pan on this engine is mad from a thin metal and rusted from the outside in. You would need to make sure any outside paint damage to the oil pan is cleaned and painted over in the future so the rust will not be able to form. If you live in an area that salts the roads then this can cause corrosion that will damage all metal parts in a vehicle underneath. Make sure you clean under car on a regular interval to keep the corrosion down to a minimum.

3. THe oil pan rusted and is leaking. The mechanic says cost is approx. $750 to replace it. Is that a fair price??