Q: There is a red lightning bolt light that has came on my dash. What does this mean?

The light on the dash is coming on. The one that looks like a red lightning volt. What does this mean?

Hi there. The lightning bolt on the dash means that there is a problem with the electronic throttle control system in your vehicle. Get a code reader and scan the engine for any logged codes. The light may be on for a glitch and the electronic throttle control system needs to be reset. To reset the electronic throttle control system, perform the following:

• Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" position but do not start the engine
  • Wait for all the warning lights to go out. The check engine light may remain on.
  • Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
  • Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it is all the way back up at the rest position.
  • Turn the ignition key to "OFF" position.
  • Start the engine and test the throttle by see if the engine will throttle up.

You would need to repeat this procedure any time the battery is disconnected or replaced. If there are any codes in the computer they may relate to the gas pedal position sensor, which could cause the lightning bolt to appear. If you need further assistance with the lightning bolt indicator lighting up on the dash, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.