Q: The driver door is dropping when opened, because the frame structure that the door hinge is on is cracking.

Last Saturday, my driver door starting sagging when I opened it. Since then I have been crawling out of my passenger door anytime I have to get in or out of my car.

Took it to the local Nissan dealership for them to fix an A/C recall. While it was there, they looked at the door. They had never seen anything like it and sent me to a local body shop.

At the body shop, once they inspected it. They stated that it is cracked, due to the weight of the door. The doors are just too heavy for the structure. So they can go in and "rig" something up and HOPE that it works or I'm just pretty much stuck with not using my driver door.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

This is a serious issue. If you are the original owner and thus can vouch for "no prior abuse", "no collision damage" and so forth, obviously that means one of two things: it is a manufacturer defect or a design defect or, of course, a combination. I would recommend filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That can be done at their website. In addition, you should contact Nissan Customer Service and seek reimbursement, or assistance, regardless of warranty status as it’s absurd to have a door hanging off a vehicle like that. As far as technical repairs, it should be possible to weld sufficient material in that pillar "area" to back up the door hinges such that the door is adequately hung. I couldn’t guess at the cost, but it is technically repairable such that the load of the door will be adequately supported. So that you don’t go from the frying pan into the fire, my advice is be selective about who does the work and that means get multiple opinions until you find somebody who you are confident in. Ask for an explanation, indeed a drawing, of what is proposed; if they won’t give you one and they seem to be inclined to "wing it", definitely look elsewhere. Welding is an art and the mechanics of the fix have to be thought through and planned. Not all shops are going to be able to do that, at least not to your liking, so it is worth doing some research before you have it done. In the meantime, contact Nissan and NHTSA. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

• The driver door is dropping when opened, because the frame structure that the door hinge is on is cracking.