Q: My ignition switch broke....as my key spun freely in the ignition. I knew this and told the mechanic this was the case, and they

My ignition switch broke....as my key spun freely in the ignition. I knew this and told the mechanic this was the case, and they ran an electrical diagnostic test, seems like an unnecessary expense, am I right?

Hi there. Running a check engine light inspection is common place; especially if you have a vehicle that has an electronic ignition system. Although the key or ignition cylinder might be stripped, it is possible that this action may have caused additional ignition system faults. In some cases, when the tumblers inside the ignition cylinder break, an error code is stored in the ECU which needs to be deleted in order to start the car once the repairs have been made. Plus, the check engine light inspection will find any other codes that might indicate additional problems with your vehicle. It’s a best practice that professional mechanics should complete anytime they work on any vehicle.

3. My ignition switch broke....as my key spun freely in the ignition. I knew this and told the mechanic this was the case, and they