Q: The car starts but won't shift and when I take my foot off the cluch its shuts off

The gear is not catching in first or reverse

If the clutch is disengaged (from the flywheel) and yet you cannot shift the transmission into select gears, there are really only two possibilities: there is a problem with the mechanical shift linkage or the synchronizer gear mesh assembly is faulty. If a diagnostic does not reveal any external problem with the linkage or the clutch and you continue to find it impossible to shift gears, the transmission will likely have to be removed and overhauled. The service to request to diagnose and identify the root cause of the problem is a failure to shift inspection. At the conclusion of that inspection the mechanic will have an answer for you as well as an explanation of the possible repair strategies, options, and costs.

• The car starts but won't shift and when I take my foot off the cluch its shuts off