Q: The AC only cools the passenger side

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu with the 2.2 l4. Three months ago, I had the compressor, condenser, and expansion valve replaced, since the compressor had failed and it is recommended to replace all of those when it does. Lately, as it's gotten hotter (over 100) I've noticed that the air coming out of the passenger side vents are measurably colder than the driver side. The car is a single zone system, so it only has one control for the whole car. I checked the refrigerant levels, and they were slightly too low, but recharging the system didn't change anything. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to fix this, since the temperature is going to be over 110 all week, and I can't drive like that. The whole system works, it is cooling the air, but the cold air isn't reaching the vents on the driver's side. Going from right to left, it gradually gets warmer. What can I do?

Considering that many a/c system components were recently replaced and that the refrigerant level is correct, you may have an issue with your blend door actuator.

This actuator will block off the air flow to either the evaporator or the heater core. This is the door that you are adjusting when you are moving the temperature control switch. If this door actuator is not functioning properly, the door may not be fully opening to expose the evaporator.

Since the evaporator is almost always located under the dash on the passenger side, this could be why the passenger side is still able to get cool air.

I would recommend getting your AC system inspected and having your blend door actuator inspected and replaced if necessary in order to resolve this issue.

3. The AC only cools the passenger side