Q: My car has temperature issues; Either the engine is under temperature or overheating.

I have a 2012 Chevy Cruz that just can't seem to operate at a normal engine temperature the car will either under heat overheat but he will never stay where it supposed to be I just recently changed out the thermostat checked all the hoses for leaks could not find any visible leaks. Other thing that the car does is the coolant tank will start to bubble and spit out the coolant and steam however on my temperature needle it will not display that the engine is overheating and when I open the hood to inspect The engine is cool or it's warm but not hot to the touch therefore the engine is at normal temperature but my coolant tank is for some reason bubbling and scheming up the coolant another thing that I've noticed sometimes when it overheats I will hear this scratching noise right where my petals all right I just don't know what to do or what the car could possibly have have also checked the fans the fans do come on when the car overheats so the fans are fine

Hi there. If the coolant reservoir is bubbling before the coolant is hot and before the engine begins to overheat, then there could be an issue with the head gasket. If there is a combustion gas leak in the cylinder and the head gasket is the cause, then exhaust gasses will enter the cooling system and cause excessive pressures and cause the system to boil before it’s even hot. Get a block tester from a local parts store and use the tool to check the vapors on the cooling system to see if there is exhaust gases in the cooling system. If there is exhaust gases in the cooling system, the chemical that is blue in color will change to a green or yellow color as you plunge the tool and suck up the air above the inlet spout to the coolant reservoir. If that is the case, then the head gasket will need to be replaced and the cylinder head will need to be checked for any cracks. If there is no exhaust gases in the cooling system, then there is excessive air in the system and could be caused by a failed water pump. If you need further assistance with your cooling system bubbling, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. My car has temperature issues; Either the engine is under temperature or overheating.