Q: Temperature gauge stuck left

I needed to do some testing with my cooling fan – the really big one behind the radiator. I had to find my coolant temperature sender drivers side way up in the engine block. It had a single green wire in it. Then I started the engine, grounded the sender to the engine block with a short piece of wire, and the fan didn’t work. But my temperature gauge tinged sharp right. Now my gauge is stuck over to the far left and doesn’t work. It still tings, but it doesn’t work properly. Do you know how I can fix this?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1987 Chevy. When you bridged the temperature sensor wire to the engine block, this effectively "shorted" the circuit. It is probable that this damaged the temperature sensor or the gauge itself. If you need an expert to take a look, a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect the AC system and guide with the proper repairs.