Q: Temperature gauge fluctuates

We took our Aspen to Dodge a while ago for temperature gauge fluctuating normal to high, then back to normal. I was told it checked out normal and was safe to drive. He said they did radiator testing with a radar gun to check for hot or cold spots. No code or check engine light, so it's fine. Prior weekend when this started I went ahead to speedee shop and had coolant flush, but that didn't help so that why I took to Dodge. Should we have them replace the thermostat? If so, approximately how much would it cost for parts and labor? Can this be replaced yourself with parts or does it have anything to do with the computer in the car?

A: Hi there, thanks for your question. Tempera...

Hi there, thanks for your question. Temperature gauge fluctuation could be due a faulty temperature gauge or a faulty thermostat. If tested with a radar gun, this would be an external temperature source for testing the temperature, which would indicate that the thermostat is working properly. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose and repair this fluctuation issue for you before you consider replacing your thermostat.