Q: temp gauge shot through the roof, heard rattling in engine, smoke coming from lower passenger side of engine, belts slight squeek

i was doing deliveries for my work. drove 35 miles to one town fine with no issues, made it about 25 miles to the next town and my temp gauge out of no where shot through the roof. car started making a rattling sound from engine and i had smoke coming up from the passenger side of the engine with a nasty burn smell. coolant was full, oil was on the lower side, there were no leaks of any kind when i pulled over to let car sit and cool down. had to get the car towed back to my home town and when i started it up to park it, it made a really nasty grinding rattling noise. i was wondering if this could be an issue with a faulty starter cause i believe that might be where the smoke is coming from or if i have an issue with my thermostat. i dont have the money to take it the shop right now so i'm trying to get ideas of what it might be.

A: If your engine temperature overheated, then...

If your engine temperature overheated, then you have problems in the cooling system. Running it low on oil does not help an engine. If you are getting smoking and noise from the engine, then you need to have the engine checked for damage from the overheating. The water pump may have failed or your thermostat may have stuck closed. I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to you to diagnose the overheating issue to see what has happened.