Q: Takes several times to start car

I bought my car yesterday used and had a mechanic from the website check it out. We saw that the battery was missing something to hold it down so it won't shift. I bought the car anyway because it really didn't have any problems. The only concern I have is can the battery be the cause of my car not starting until maybe the 2nd or 3rd try? It's a new battery and I would like to know before I take appropriate action.

Hi there. The battery’s job is to provide power to the starter, ignition system and fuel pump to begin the ignition sequence. If you are able to crank the car over, but it takes a few times for it to ignite, it’s probably not the battery or any part of the electrical system. In most cases, this is caused by fuel system, emissions system or ignition system components that are dirty or clogged with excessive carbon build-up such as the mass air flow sensor, dirty fuel injectors or a worn out spark plugs. It’s always a good idea to have a good tune-up, which includes changing the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires and distributor rotor and cap anytime you buy a used car approaching 100,000 miles. This will most likely resolve the hard to start issue.

3. Takes several times to start car