Q: Suddenly will not start - will crank but will not start.

Over these past several weeks I began to notice my car did not seem to be starting as smoothly. Since I had purchased the battery at Sams Club (Energizer 51R) I took it to Sams to see if the battery was malfunctioning. They assured me the battery was in great condition. So since the symptoms were so faint, I convinced myself that it was just my imagination! Females do that sometimes!! LOL!! Unfortunately the car is inside my garage and will not start. The car cranks as if it is about to start but simply does not. Now I realize I had notice and wish I had taken it in for someone to check it out since now it is going to have to be towed.

There is no need to tow it at all. YourMechanic can perform a mobile no-start diagnostic, and if parts are required install them right there at your present location. Since your "no-start" is not an intermittent problem, the cause can be found relatively quickly.

Typically, there is a fault in the fuel system, such as a failed fuel pump, and/or the ignition system, such as a failed "global" sensor that prevents the PCM from initiating ignition. Consider yourself lucky, intermittent no-starts are hard to find. If the car flat out won’t start every time, it is relatively easy to trace back and find the fault.

If a code was stored by your PCM, and is downloadable, the diagnostic will be even faster. If you want to check a possibility yourself, have an assistant turn the ignition key to the "On" position (NOT "start", just "On") while you listen at the fuel tank area for a momentary "whirring" noise which is the fuel pump pressuring. The instant "On" is engaged by the assistant, you should be able to hear the fuel pump in the fuel tank (rear underside of car) click on and "whirrr" for a few seconds. If by chance you do not hear any whirring "noise" from the tank at the instant the key is turned to the "On" position, you have a fuel system fault (pump, wiring, and/or circuit). Let us know if we can assist you by performing the Diagnostic and if you have any additional concerns.

3. Suddenly will not start - will crank but will not start.