Q: The flexplate has cracked twice in the past 6 months.

The flexplate has cracked twice in the past 6 months. I replaced it with a brand new one. A reconditioned transmission was installed by a transmission specialist 6 months ago. Is it likely do due to a faulty transmission or installation? The same transmission has been reinstalled twice. Would a faulty torque converter cause this problem?

Hi there. Aside from a manufacturing defect, the only things that will cause a cracked flex plate are improper torque on the plate bolts at the crank and torque converter and the most common cause of transmission to engine misalignment; sometimes caused by missing alignment dowel pins that mate the transmission to the engine. If the alignment dowel pins are missing, the tremendous amount of torque placed on the components can and will cause a shift in the alignment of the engine and transmission. This can distort, twist, and eventually brake the flex plate; cracked flex plate. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to determine if these dowels are missing once the assemblies have been bolted together and Your Mechanic does not currently offer transmission replacement services. If the plate has to be replaced again, ask to see the alignment dowel pins in the bell housing or engine block; either one works as these assemblies have a matching hole in each for the alignment. Also ask to see the torque specs; this lets you know that the specs were actually looked up and highly likely that they were used during reassembly. I hope that this has been helpful. Feel free to schedule your next service, repair, or diagnostic 7 days a week at www.yourmechanic.com.