Q: Suddenly a whole lots of problems have occurred!!! Help!

HELP: Can anybody help me diagnose this problem I have a 400 in my 1976 cougar with a new carburetor new distributor cap wire plugs rotor coil starter selenoid brake master cylinder. As of two nights ago I parked it running fine and went to drive it The next morning and it had these issues.. It was only idling at 2-300rpm, it stalled on me so I turned the idle screw all the way in and it's still only running at 500rpm's?it's very rough and has quite a bit of backfire, it's overheating, hesitates a little on the gas, and for some reason the brakes become very stiff and weak when I'm moving slow like trying to park or something? I don't know or understand how all these issues can come up at once please if anybody knows what is causing this let me know!

A: My first thought is you have moisture insid...

My first thought is you have moisture inside your distributor cap. This is a very common issue with older vehicles. I suspect all these issues are caused by a single issue. Since it is overheating, I would certainly be checking your cooling system. I wouldn't expect it to blow a head gasket, but your symptoms definitely fit. It could also be clogged carburetor jets.

With an overheating car, I would begin by determining which cylinder are misfiring. If cylinders are misfiring on only one head, I would suspect you have a head gasket failure. Whatever is overheating needs to be addressed. It is very difficult to diagnose a car when it is overheating.

Another possibility is the roll pin holding the gear on the distributor has sheared. This can cause overheating and all of your symptoms. I think I would begin by checking your timing. If it is way off, I would suspect this. While your there, inspect the distributor cap for moisture.

To summarize:

• Check timing
  • Check for moisture
  • Check distributor gear
  • Check for head gasket failure
  • Clean carburetor jets
  • If none of this applies, diagnose your overheating issue.

If you should need further assistance, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose your misfire firsthand for an accurate repair.

Good luck!