Q: Stuck in Park gear - 1997 GMC K2500

When I drove to work today I parked my truck, turned it off and put it into park as usual. At the end of the day I went outside, got into my truck like I always do to start it, and I couldn’t shift it out of the “park” gear. Do you know how to fix this or have any advice?

Hey there. I would check to see if your vehicle brake lights work. The shift lock needs the brake switch to activate and the shift lock solenoid in the steering column. If you do not have brake lights, then you should check the switch on the pedal linkage. If you would like to have an expert take a look at this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the shifting issue and have this corrected.

3. Stuck in Park gear - 1997 GMC K2500