Q: Stereo malfunctions until car hits bump in road

I recently purchased a used car and everything seems great on it except the stereo. For a long time, it won’t work and then suddenly starts to work after hitting a bump in the road. I checked the wires in the trunk, all of them, and everything seemed to be in proper order. Can you give me any ideas as to what to look for or repair, besides loose wires?

A: The most common cause of this issue would b...

The most common cause of this issue would be a loose ground wire. I would recommend searching for wiring diagrams relating to the radio to see where the ground wires are mounted. Then I would make sure that all of them are secured.

If this does not resolve the issue, it is also possible that the radio itself could be faulty. A scan tool may exist that can be used to check the radio unit for proper function. This would likely be done at the dealership. If the radio turns out to be malfunctioning, replacement of the radio could be the only way to resolve the issues you are having.