Q: steering wheel locked up and car shut off while driving, 2009 chevy aveo

asked by on August 25, 2017

This morning I was driving to work and my car's steering wheel started to lock up where it was hard to turn the wheel and the car shut off while I was driving. I was able to put the car in park and turn if off and then back on. I have had work done on my car in the past year.

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Power steering assist relies on engine power to work. Consequently, the hard steering may have simply occurred as a consequence of the engine shutting down. What you are describing is "engine stalling" and the root cause of that problem can be identified if you request an engine stalling diagnostic. Some of the causes for engine stalling are a faulty mass airflow sensor, faulty engine coolant temperature switch/sensor (typically at cold start only), faulty camshaft or crankshaft position sensors, worn spark plugs, wires or defective ignition coil(s), inadequate fuel delivery or pressure (clogged fuel filter, injectors, faulty fuel pump or pump circuit), contaminated or old gasoline, defective throttle position sensor, faulty idle air control valve, leaks in the EGR system, intake vacuum leaks, and so forth. If you request the engine stalling diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr