Q: Steering wheel is hard to turn - 2005 Nissan Maxim

Hi, I just recently replaced my power steering pump because my steering wheel was hard to turn. After the mechanic was done he let me test drive it and t was still hard. Later in the week the steering wheel was like brand new. Now it's back to being hard to turn again. Not sure what it could be and sometimes the steering wheel is easy at higher speeds and other times it's not. Very confusing.

A: As you may know, the power steering system ...

As you may know, the power steering system is comprised of the power steering pump and the rack and pinion system down in the front underneath your car. These two systems work together with the use of hydraulic fluid being pumped through a series of valves in the rack and pinion system to create hydraulic pressure which is what you notice in the form of power steering assistance.

The rack and pinion pumps power steering fluid through a series of valves which then ultimately push the fluid to the power steering pump. When the fluid does not freely flow through the system, you may notice the steering to be a bit tough as you describe.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your power steering system firsthand.