Q: Steering wheel clicks when turned and rattles over some bumps and bad roads

Not everytime but it's gotten worse, it clicks or clunks when turning sometimes and rattles abnormally when going over bumps and bad roads. A friend said it may be the steering wheel column is loose?

At 47,000 miles, I would not suspect your steering column is worn. Depending on the history (wrecks, fender benders, potholes, etc), you may have worn out components in your front suspension. A clunking noise over bumps is likely a sway bar link, ball joint, or strut/mount.

A front end suspension component with play will cause the noise you appear to be describing. Lifting the wheels off the ground and giving it a ’shake down’ should determine the cause of the noise or any safety concerns.

You need an inspection soon just to verify there is nothing wrong with your suspension. Even with low mileage, you may have worn components which we can repair. Feel free to reach out to one of our mobile experts who can come to you and diagnose your suspension system at your own convenience.

• Steering wheel clicks when turned and rattles over some bumps and bad roads