Q: Windshield wipers leaving spot on driver's side

Strange issue going on with my wipers. There's an "oily" spot on the driver's side, right in the driver's field of view. The spot only shows up when it's raining. The blades have been changed five times (different manufacturers). It doesn't matter. When we get heavy rain, the spot shows back up. I have tried other rain-clearing products like Rain-X, and I tried wiping it down with newspaper, but that didn't help. When I put on the last blade, it worked fine, but a small streak kept getting left behind, like dirt stuck on the wiper. I went back to the standard manufacturer blade. Today, it looked fine at first, then after some heavy downpours, the oily looking spot is back. Is there something wrong with my glass, or would something else cause this?

This is not really my area of expertise. Looking online, I have seen some people suggest using steel wool but I would be very careful with this approach. Test the steel wool in a small, inconspicuous place before using it all over. Other methods include scrubbing with toothpaste, using a clay bar, and Autoglym Glass Polish & Cleaner. My best advice is to try each of these items to see if they work. If they do not, you may be looking at a new windshield to solve the problem.