Q: Steering hard when vehicle is not moving forward

I recently removed my front driveshaft because it was going bad. I went to move the jeep and I heard a weird squeak coming from underneath. It does the same noise every time I start the vehicle. It was very hard to turn the steering wheel until I got the vehicle moving. If the vehicle is on a stand still steering is very hard. Once I get it moving is fine. I do have some side to side play on the steering wheel before the wheels start to turn.

Hi there:

It’s really difficult to diagnose an issue like this remotely, without being there to physically test drive or examine the parts. However, these symptoms are common with power steering pump issues or with other power steering components. My advice would be to retrace your installation steps to ensure you didn’t incorrectly install or attach a power steering line first. If that doesn’t help, contact a local mechanic to inspect your Jeep Wrangler to see why you’re having steering issues.

3. Steering hard when vehicle is not moving forward