Q: Steering becoming hard in few days even after alignment.

Hello experts..Iam from India, In Chennai. A month back I purchased a new sedan..Maruti Ciaz with EPS. Right from day one I have a hard steering. The alignment was corrected by the service men, and the steering became perfect. But in few minutes of driving the steering became hard again. The service men checked the tire pressure and there was marginal improvement. But in some 100kms of driving it got worse. I again checked alignment at another location after 2weeks of the first one. As expected, the toe-in had become toe-out. After correction the problem is solved. But again after an hour of driving, it had again become hard. Iam sure the angle is disturbed again. Steering feel - At 40 to 50kmph the minor adjustments in steering is painfull to shoulder. More effort to turn and same effort to bring it back, even a small angle. Although some amount of self centering is available when turned for more angle at low speed. Pl advice what could be the actual issue. Thanks Jayakumar

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle may be experiencing some sort of steering or suspension issues. If the toe adjustment keeps falling out of specification then it may be possible that one or more of the steering components may be worn. If the vehicle’s tie rod ends, the suspension linkage components that steer the vehicle, wear out they may not become loose, and easily fall out of adjustment. Similar symptoms can also be caused by worn ball joints, or suspension bushings. If the alignment is falling out of adjustment to the point of causing the steering to become hard, then the alignment is likely off enough to cause accelerated wear on the tires. Continuing to drive the vehicle in these conditions may cause the tires to wear abnormally, as well as place additional stress on the suspension and steering components. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to inspect the suspension and steering systems for possible faults