Q: Starting issues, engine kickback problem. 1998 Chevrolet K2500

I have troubles starting the car. The engine would crank but it cannot start. I occasionally get an engine kickback, which results in several parts failing. I had the crank sensor replaced. Another time after the engine kickback, I had to replace the flywheel as the tooth got damaged. I also had the starter replaced. After that, there were no major issues for several months. Then, the issues occurred again, this time resulting in starter mounting bolt breakage. The bolt has been replaced. I had the started checked and it's fine. What else can I do to prevent this from occurring again?

A: Hello there, this is a more unusual fault f...

Hello there, this is a more unusual fault for the 1998 K2500. There are a few possible causes for why the engine is backfiring like this and causing damage. The most likely would be a timing chain, distributor timing, damaged valves, or incorrect fuel mixture. With damage to parts being done, this fault should be diagnosed before the vehicle is driven. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the root cause of the no start and backfiring, and can perform any repairs required.