Q: New cars don't have transmission fluid dipsticks Transmission fluid changing

How come modern cars no longer have transmission fluid dipsticks and recommended fluid change? Can you still change the fluid without one? If not--how long transmission fluid can last with the original fluid?

That’s a very good question. The reason they have gone with no dipsticks is because they don’t want people messing with transmissions other there at the dealership. Some cars went through that a couple of decades ago. They make it a very involved, convoluted process all through, in order to change the fluid on these modern cars. They have special adapters you have to put. Some of them have to have scan computers in order to read the data and what’s in there, and then be able to change it. A lot of these companies claim that this new fluid is the "lifetime" fluid.

Most new use synthetic fluid can last a long time but any fluid is going to get dirty and wear out over time. I would change it at least every 80,000 - 100,000 miles but if you’ve got one that is really hard to change, you are better off hiring a mechanic to do it.

On some of the cars, it would be too hard for the do-it-yourself because of all that equipment you need. The professional mechanics already have that. Just call any good mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, and they will be able to perform a transmission fluid service for you.

3. New cars don't have transmission fluid dipsticks Transmission fluid changing