Q: Starter engaging but not turning fly wheel

The car has oil and not had no problems has the original starter in it but it engages but makes a clank noise when tries to turn wheel I pulled starter kept hooked to battery turn key over and starter engaged and spun could it still be the starter not having power to spin fly wheel or what cause just happen all at once last for work that morning made it 100 yards and the engine stated making a loud clinking noise coming from starter area and car just shut off had no problems before this but is original starter and is 16 years old

A: From the symptoms you describe it would app...

From the symptoms you describe it would appear that you may have a faulty starter.

You mention that you tested the starter and that it rotates. Another test you must verify is that when the starter is activated, the plunger and gear must also extend to come into contact with the flywheel teeth. If the plunger fails, or cannot extend properly, even if it does spin, it will not be able to contact the flywheel teeth to turn the engine.

If the starter is the original one it may just need to be replaced, especially if it has exceeded 200k miles of service.

If you need help with this, consider the help from a qualified technician who can diagnose your starting issue and replace the alternator if necessary.