Q: Started hits flywheel but won't turn till crank is turned half turn

asked by on August 22, 2017

The starter goes into flywheel real strong but will not turn motor until you turn the crank by hand! Once you turn crank motor will crank and runs fine! Shutting it off you have to repeat these steps!

The first thing to check is the battery voltage. It should be 12.6 if the battery is fully charged and shouldn’t drop below 10 when the starter is engaged. You might just have a weak battery and some engines are easier to turn in one position than they are in another. That could be normal, or you might have oil or coolant leaking into a cylinder that make it hard to turn on start-up. Other items to check are the condition of the cables and the voltage drop between the engine and chassis when the car is trying to crank. Of course, it’s not possible for me to give you an accurate diagnosis from this chair, but you can contact your Mechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your starting problem and let you know what it will take to solve it.