Q: Car lost power while driving on highway and wont start now

asked by on March 06, 2017

I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden lost power. I accelerated but it didnt do nothing. I pulled to the side and it wouldnt start. It cranks but wont turn over. I still have electricity because my radio and headlights still work. I tried to jumpstart but didnt help. I changed the fuel pump and main relay but that didnt fix it. I think its the distributor because theres no spark.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There are several possible reasons for a vehicle to crank and not start. A bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, faulty injectors, bad ecu, failed ignition coil, or a malfunctioning sensor. It will first be necessary to figure out if there is a lack of spark, low/no fuel pressure, or a mechanical problem. Once you have figured out which of these is causing the issue, then you will need to figure out what component is causing the problem that is keeping the vehicle from starting. I will say that it has been my experience that a loss of spark in these vehicles will more often than not be tracked down to a faulty ignitor/distributor. If this is something you feel you need a hand in diagnosing/repairing, contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics available at YourMechanic.com.