Q: Speedometer not reading correctly.

asked by on February 13, 2017

My speedometer will go up to 35mph, but it acts like it gets stuck and won't go any higher. The odometer is still working properly. Could this be the vehicle speed sensor even without a check engine light?

Speedometer is not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The speedometer reads information coming in from the BCM (body control module). Which gathers its information from the wheel speed sensors, and engine speed sensors. With the meter partially working, it is likely an issue with the sensors, the gauge itself, or the module. The best way to tell is to do some electrical testing on the instrument cluster first. This will tell you if you are receiving the electrical inputs that you are supposed to be getting at every speed. If you are, and the gauge is not working, you are likely going to need to replace the entire instrument cluster. Only further testing will tell. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.