Q: Soft brakes make me think they won’t work

My 2007 Toyota Tundra that is only really a work truck still has pretty low mileage, with 30,000 miles on it total. I am having a problem with braking, where after I push the brake pedal for a couple seconds the truck kind of surges forward. It’s not a light bump either, I thought a car bumped me the first time it happened. What would cause this? Is this a serious problem?

Any unusual braking occurrences should be viewed as potentially serious. However, the symptom you describe is more indicative of a common issue Toyota had with the Tundra, causing them to issue a on it. It has to do with replacing the rear propeller shaft (drive shaft) with an improved design. It affected 2007 - 2008 4WD Tundras. The bulletin number is TBS-0015-08, which stated in part and effect:

“Some owners of 4WD equipped 2007 - 2008 model year Tundra vehicles may experience a clunk/thunk noise from the rear of the vehicle or a "bump-from-behind" sensation just before or when accelerating from a stop. Improvements have been implemented on the rear propeller shaft (driveshaft) to reduce this condition...”

This warranty was in effect for 5 years from the date the vehicle was put into service. Even though your truck is past this covered period, I recommend that you contact your Toyota dealer and inquire about this bulletin and the availability of the improved drive shaft design.

3. Soft brakes make me think they won’t work