Q: Power steering stopped working overnight during really cold weather

a couple days ago it was -15f wind chill overnight my car sat and I started it the next morning let my car warm up and tried pulling out of my parking spot and the steering wheel took all my energy to turn the wheel both ways its been a couple days now and the steering still hasn't changed also powering steering fluid leaked out overnight. Has a hose maybe burst Bc of the cold?

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote

If fluid has leaked out, check the level in the power steering reservoir. If low, as a temporary measure you may be able to add fluid restore the function, that is if the leak is not too large. If there is a leak, it will have to be pinpointed and repaired but the initial cause of the high effort (low level of assist) will have to be determined, too, at the same time. Even at low temperatures, the system should function reasonably well so obviously there is a fault somewhere. As far as the relationship between the low temperature and the leak, normally the hoses will withstand very high pressures, at any temperature, and so a leak is more likely a result of deterioration or aging of the hose, rather than a consequence of the weather. If you want this problem diagnosed and resolved by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a power steering diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr