computer will not talk to altenator 2011 vw routan volksw...

Q: computer will not talk to altenator 2011 vw routan

asked by on June 28, 2017

battery was dead had system checked by dealer. Told I need a new alternator and the cost would be around 900 dollars. Purchased a new alternator fro auto parts store. Had alternator replaced. Van will run as long as battery is fully charged, But for some reason it seems that the computer in the van will not communicate with the new alternator. any help will be good.

Hi there. Each mechanical and electrical system in today’s vehicles are monitored and in many ways, controlled by a series of sensors and electrical connections that send and receive data from the ECU in order to work effectively. The alternator however, is pretty much a mechanical system, meaning that it won’t fail in most cases due to communication issues with the ECU. It is possible that a few of the charging cables attached to the alternator are not correctly installed or damaged or an error code is stuck in the ECU that is causing a glitch. It would probably best to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a car will not hold a charge inspection to determine what is causing these issues with your Volkswagen.