Q: Smell of petrol and white smoke from exhaust Peugeot 207 Sport

The emissions are high on my Peugeot 207 sport 1.6 16v 57 plate. The diagnostics have said new dephaser sensor dephaser pully and cam position sensor costing £512 to replace and fit. Does this seem right to you seems a bit expensive to me thanks for your help.

Hi there - I think there are perhaps 2 problems here. the excess fuel, white smoke issue is not likely caused by a cam phaser problem. This seems more like a rich fuel mixture issue - leaking injector(s), or malfunctioning coolant temperature sensor. Cam phasers are somewhat expensive, and require re-timing the camshaft(s) to the crankshaft, a tedious procedure requiring special tools. I would ask the mechanic to distinguish between these 2 different sets of symptoms. For a trusted 2nd opinion, I recommend an engine inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.