Q: Slow shifting, rear brake squeals, tire noise

In the last few weeks, I've had a problems with the brakes that happen randomly. On cold start, the dashboard shows the ABS and TCS lights illuminated. When I start driving, the shifting from neutral into first gear seems very slow. During driving, I've noticed that the rear brake on the passenger's side makes squealing noise. The brakes on this side seem to be holding down. When I checked this side of the car, it was very warm. The car runs well and braking is fine also. This would go away after about ten minutes of driving. Also, when I was driving the other day, the tire on the back passenger's side made squeaking sounds. This sound was getting higher in pitch as I was increasing the speed. What should I do?

It appears the right-side brakes are dragging. Since you also have an ABS/TCS light illuminated on the dashboard, you likely have a fault in the ABS/TCS system which is causing one or both brakes on the passenger side to drag. The tire squeak you mention may be the tire’s belt separating from the tread. Both of these are potential safety issues, and should be checked out immediately. If you want to have this looked at, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the shifting and noise problems to verify what needs repair.

3. Slow shifting, rear brake squeals, tire noise