Q: Clutch vs. Master/Slave Cylinder?

I'm having issues with my clutch. Foul odor when driving uphill. When I shift gears, there is a very slow 'get up and go', where my rpms will rise rapidly but my speed will slowly increase. I'm trying to narrow down where the issue lies to minimize the cost of repair/replacement. Is there a way to know if its the Master clutch cylinder, the Slave clutch cylinder, or the whole thing?

This sounds like you have a problem with the clutch. The clutch is slipping causing the rpm to rev high and the car to not move. The clutch disc can be slipping due to it being worn or fluid getting on it if your clutch hydraulic system is leaking. It may be leaking fluid from the slave cylinder onto the clutch disc.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come and inspect the clutch slipping for you. Even after the leak is fixed you may still have burned up the clutch and need to have the clutch assembly replaced.

3. Clutch vs. Master/Slave Cylinder?