Q: Short quiet squeal accompanied by what feels like the engine 'catching' and sort of jerking slightly

Every so often when I'm driving a consistent speed for some time, I'll hear a faint squeal or screech sound, along with a 'catching' feeling or like a pulling, like the engine hesitates for a half second. I don't notice it when I'm driving in traffic or in residential areas with lots of stops and starts. It only seems to happen when I'm cruising along for a time.

Hello there, thanks for writing in. The vehicle squealing and catching can have a variety of causes on your 1993 Plymouth Sundance. When the vehicle catches and squeals like this it is likely a problem with the belt slipping. The belt slip can be caused by a seized pulley, tensioner, or alternator, power steering pump and AC compressor. A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your squealing and catching by performing a vehicle inspection and making any repairs required by simply dropping by your home or office.

3. Short quiet squeal accompanied by what feels like the engine 'catching' and sort of jerking slightly