Q: Short quiet squeal accompanied by what feels like the engine 'catching' and sort of jerking slightly

asked by on September 30, 2016

Every so often when I'm driving a consistent speed for some time, I'll hear a faint squeal or screech sound, along with a 'catching' feeling or like a pulling, like the engine hesitates for a half second. I don't notice it when I'm driving in traffic or in residential areas with lots of stops and starts. It only seems to happen when I'm cruising along for a time.

Hello there, thanks for writing in. The vehicle squealing and catching can have a variety of causes on your 1993 Plymouth Sundance. When the vehicle catches and squeals like this it is likely a problem with the belt slipping. The belt slip can be caused by a seized pulley, tensioner, or alternator, power steering pump and AC compressor. A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your squealing and catching by performing a vehicle inspection and making any repairs required by simply dropping by your home or office.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr