Q: Shaking while braking

My car shakes while I'm braking. It's not a warped rotor; I replaced all four, and it's still happening. I also got my wheels balanced.

Here are the symptoms: the shaking only happens if the brake peddle is more than halfway down. If I'm driving without applying brakes, the car drives smoothly. The whole car is shaking when it happens. The shaking doesn't happen if I pull the emergency brake. I would think this was a warped rotor, but those are brand new. So what else could be going on? Could there be a high spot on one?

Hello. I’ve had experience with new rotors being warped right out of the box. There is a limited warranty on the rotors from the store. If you can return them and get new front rotors or get them turned, that would be a good idea.

Hot spots normally don’t cause this problem in rotors, but it is more likely possible that there is a loose or worn wheel bearing in the front of the car. Also, loose or worn control arms, and worn-out lower ball joints can also cause this problem.

I would suggest you get your brakes and suspension inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Shaking while braking