Q: Sevear steering wheel vibration when brakes are applied.

I have a 2005 Toyota Avalon with the V-6 auto trans. It has 88,123 miles on the car. Started getting a vibration about one month ago in steering wheel when brakes were being applied. Put 4 new tires and front rotors and pads on car. The vibration is much worse. I looked under car and noticed grease or oil splatter on right front half shaft shaft. Nobody mentioned that when tires, brakes and oil work was done. Could I have a half shaft failure or tie rod or ball joint failure? The problem only occurs when appling brakes.

The rotor may have gotten grease on it which will cause the brake vibration. Have the rotors cleaned and resurfaced or replaced after the axle is replaced. The grease on the new rotors would cause them to warp. A qualified mobile mechanic can come to your home or office to run a diagnostic inspection of the shaking to confirm the issue, and recommend the best path to repair.

3. Sevear steering wheel vibration when brakes are applied.