Q: Service light change plugs

My service light came on my Eos. So I called to make an appointment to service my car. They told me that last year I had my 30,000 mi. service. So now they will do my 40,000 mi. service which includes replacing spark plugs. I wanted to know why they need to change my spark plugs if they're rated for 40,000 miles. They said they recommend either 40,000 mi. or 4 years which is how long I've had the car. Do you think it's necessary to change the spark plugs at 25,000 mi. at 4 years? I don’t much about cars. Thanks

Hi there. Spark plugs are not generally sensitive to time. Being that they are 4 years old does not constitute that they need to be replaced. I would replace them at 40,000 miles only unless you have a warranty on the vehicle. If you have a warranty then it needs to be done just as the dealer recommends. If you do not then you can void the warranty. If you want to have the spark plugs replaced for less than what the dealer charges, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you home or office to diagnose and repair this.