Q: Serpentine tensioner bolt broke off

The alternator went out on my 98 mustang gt and my boyfriend bought a replacement to fix it. We went to release the tension in the serpentine belt but realized the bolt is broken off inside the part. What are my options? I can’t drive it since the battery died when the alternator went out so I can’t bring it in to a shop.

Unfortunately the only way to resolve this issue would likely be to replace the tensioner as well. If tension cannot be relieved from the belt due to a broken bolt the tensioner will have to be removed completely. If the bolts that are holding the tensioner on to the engine are what is broken, then drilling the old bolt out will be required in order to resolve this issue.