Q: Serpentine belt broke, replaced it but lost AC. It broke again 2 days later

The serpentine belt broke and I lost both my power steering and my AC which is normal. After replacing it though, I only regained the power steering even though the belt was definitely engaging the AC. I drove it without AC for a couple of days until this morning I could smell a burnt rubber smell while driving and the belt broke again. Is the AC not working causing my belt to brake? How should I go about fixing the problem? Thanks a lot.

A: It would’ve been helpful to know if the A/C...

It would’ve been helpful to know if the A/C was working fine or having a problem when the first belt broke. I suspect that the A/C pulley is binding, causing the second and first belt to break. If the A/C was working good right up to the first belt breaking then the first belt may have gotten caught up in the A/C pulley and clutch. This would cause the lack of A/C engagement and pulley to bind. Either way it may be caused by the A/C compressor.

The clutch and pulley should be inspected to see if they are faulty or if the old belt was binding it. I’d suggest getting the A/C inspected by a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic. Once on site, a mechanic will be able to diagnose the symptoms you’ve described and help you make the necessary repairs.