Q: Seemingly misfires

At first this only was an issue when driving longer distances (20 miles or so) but now even when driving just a couple miles it does this. The car kinda chugs when accelerating and when this happens the check engine light turns on. The engine seems to be giving off more heat and what looks like an exhaust manifold glows a bright red(like it's getting really hot). I took it in to get it checked for a bad catalytic converter but it doesn't have one.

Hi...your vehicle has an on-board diagnostic system, albeit the early version known as OBD-I. What I would therefore recommend, to get this engine running condition diagnosed and repaired, is you request a check engine light diagnostic. The trouble codes that are presently stored may be sufficient for the certified Mechanic to resolve this. If not, there are some obvious possibilities such as a lean misfire, perhaps caused by a failing fuel pump. Lean misfire would also explain the engine overheating. Due to the age of the vehicle, and possible high mileage, the mechanic may recommend checking engine compression, too, to see if any mechanical issue could account for the misfiring.

3. Seemingly misfires