Q: Security system on my new to me car has been toggled on.

I bought the vehicle from a tow yard and I've been making small repairs to it since. A few days ago the security light came on and the key would not start the engine. After doing research and figuring out that it might have something to do with the passlock 2 system I replace the ignition cylinder and have a new copy of a key made with the correct resistance. I have tried the 10-minute relearning procedure as well as the 30-minute relearning procedure. The security light is now off but will not start the engine. There is a slight grinding sound from inside the dash. I have no idea what else to try and could use some advice.

Hi there. Try taking the key and putting it in the driver door and unlocking and locking the door 3 times. This will make the computer acknowledge the key and finalize the programming. For the dash sound, that could be the heater fan motor making the noise as you are attempting to start the vehicle. If you need further assistance with the security system to your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Security system on my new to me car has been toggled on.