Q: Second gear misshifts when I drive, all other gears are fine.

Can the transmission be fixed when one of the gears (second gear, it's a manual car) does not properly work? I put the first gear it's fine, second gear I have to hold it firmly with my hand before switching to 3rd. So 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th are fine, but 2nd gear I need to hold it otherwise it just comes out by itself whenever I push the gas pedal. It's like someone pushes it out with their hand every time I put it in second and give it gas while on the move. Will it get worse with time? How much approximately would it cost to fix it if at all possible?

A: A transmission coming out of gear is most...

Hello.

A transmission coming out of gear is most often caused by worn transmission components. It may be possible that the synchronizer rings, which are meant to smoothly mesh the gears inside of the transmission, have worn out and are no longer able to stay in gear.

It may also be possible that the gears themselves have worn out, and can no longer hold the torque of the engine. This is usually preceded or accompanied by a grinding noise when attempting to shift into that gear. If this is the case, it may be possible that the transmission may need to be rebuilt.

As transmission rebuilds can be expensive, I would recommend having the vehicle diagnosed by a professional technician who specializes in transmission, to determine if a rebuild is required.