Q: Recommended oil to use on a turbo engine vs. a non-turbo one

My Ford Taurus non-turbo takes 5w-20 oil. The turbo version is said to take something like 5w-30. Does it really matter that it is the same displacement engine but with the added turbo?

A: Yes it really does. Because turbos spin hun...

Yes it really does. Because turbos spin hundreds of thousands of revolutions and they need really good lubrication. They need a little heavier oil. They need the 30 vs. the 20 and you don’t want to mess with the turbo specifications. Whatever they suggest to use for a turbo--use it. These guys have tested that stuff out and they know that one oil is going to work better than the others, and you don’t want to destroy a turbo because they cost a whole bunch of money. They can be rebuilt but only by a pro who has got a balancing machine and stuff. It’s complex.

If you’d like, a mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office and perform an oil change for you using the correct oil.