Q: Recommended oil to use on a turbo engine vs. a non-turbo one

asked by on May 04, 2016

My Ford Taurus non-turbo takes 5w-20 oil. The turbo version is said to take something like 5w-30. Does it really matter that it is the same displacement engine but with the added turbo?

Yes it really does. Because turbos spin hundreds of thousands of revolutions and they need really good lubrication. They need a little heavier oil. They need the 30 vs. the 20 and you don’t want to mess with the turbo specifications. Whatever they suggest to use for a turbo--use it. These guys have tested that stuff out and they know that one oil is going to work better than the others, and you don’t want to destroy a turbo because they cost a whole bunch of money. They can be rebuilt but only by a pro who has got a balancing machine and stuff. It’s complex.

If you’d like, a mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office and perform an oil change for you using the correct oil.