Q: Oil pressure reading low on my truck.

The oil pressure on my 2003 Chevy Silverado reads zero for a few minutes before jumping to normal.

A: This is a common problem for your vehicle. ...

This is a common problem for your vehicle. The most likely problem is a failed oil pressure sending unit. This is what tells the gauge in your car how much oil pressure the engine has. Just to be safe I would enlist the help of a mechanic to check the oil pressure of your engine with a separate gauge to confirm that there has not been a failure of the oil pump in your engine before driving any further. If the oil pump is failing you could cause serious damage to your engine.