Q: Power Steering Assist Fault

asked by on February 15, 2017

No other lights/warnings, no codes found with multiple handheld scanners. Without going to dealer what are some ways I can trouble shoot this? I was rewiring my headlights (converted it over to 14 mustang gt hid's from stock halogen ones. battery ended up getting trained in the process i turned the wheel in air full lock multiple times. Did I jack at wrong place and broke something? fuse blown? (i dont think so) running out of ideas and really dont want to take it to dealer unless absolutely have to.

Brakes, Steering and Suspension Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. When you have a warning light like this on, it may be sensor related, or it may be mechanical. The power steering system is electric, and there are not many tests you can do on the system without manufacture specific tools and software. It may be a software issue pertaining to draining the battery, as other Fords around this year have experienced similar issues. If you lifted the vehicle wrong, you may have damaged the rack, which is the main component driven by its own motor to assist with steering. You can perform a visual inspection to make sure nothing looks damaged, but beyond that, there is little you can do with this type of higher tech power steering system. One question that needs to be answered is if the vehicle is having any issues driving. If it is steering normally, starting normally, and showing no other signs of issues, clear the code and see if it comes back on. If it does, you should have the system inspected by a professional. Unfortunately when there is an issue with the electric power steering systems, the main repair is to replace the entire rack and pinion. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.