Engine gets hot, heater blows cold air chevrolet suburban...

Q: Engine gets hot, heater blows cold air

asked by on March 27, 2018

The engine gets hot after running in town or on the highway, but the heater will blow cold air. Then the engine temperature will drop and the heater warms up, but only for a few minutes. Is it a water pump issue or just needs a new thermostat?

Hi Ray. Thanks for contacting us today. When the engine gets hot and the heater blows cold air, it’s usually caused by either an obstruction of debris inside the heater core. When a water pump or thermostat does not work, it will typically cause overheating rather quickly - so it’s possible that you have a bunch of sludge collecting in the heater core. I think flushing your coolant system is probably the best way to start. If this does not resolve your issue, it’s smart to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an onsite inspection.